Carnivorous Plants/Mold in Spatulatas

Hi Guys... Im trying my hand at growing tropicals indoors now that IM comfortable with Non-tropics out side.   I have  a small container of "Spats" and one of the spats has died and is starting to mold.   I am looking at getting some springtails for the mold but is there a certain brand or anything I can use to keep the mold at bay ?  Sorry if this message seems a bit muddled... Im just not sure what to do .   These are kept under 6500k lights for 10-12 hours a day .   bottom watered.  Water is kept about 1/4 inch deep.

Hi Dexter,

Here's a couple things you can do.  First, do lots of top-watering of your plants.  This helps to keep mold spores washed off.  Also, keep any dead leaves clipped since this is often where mold starts.  Make sure your plants are fairly close to the lights.  Stronger UV will help keep the mold at bay.  Just be cautious of temperatures if you're using T-5 lights.  Drosera spatulata is a full-sun plant, so they will like it pretty bright.  If new growth is dark red, you have the lights close enough.

A good fungicide to use as a preventative is Safer sulfur based fungicide.  Here a link to our podcast on safe fungicides:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!