Carnivorous Plants/Moss growth in soil

I have noticed moss growth on the surface of my large ceramic Sarracenia bowl, and pulled it out, but I would like to know if I should leave it alone and let it grow for added moisture retention.  It wasn't a huge amount and looked like it could be spaghnum moss.  I keep my bowl in the patio in full sun; the soil is 1 part clean, packaged playbox sand to one part peat moss.  I brought some of my sarracenias from Santa Cruz, CA and bought the rest from you in 2009 and more at your last summer open house.  I'm not sure what my growing region number is as everyone up here has a different opinion (sigh)  but I live in Fisher's Landing in East Vancouver, WA.  If you could let me know what it actually is, I would be eternally grateful.
Thank you, Cheri

Your growing region is essentially the same as ours, so you can follow the winter care instructions as outlined in our online care guide.

Unless you can properly identify the moss as sphagnum moss, you should pull it out.  There are hundreds, if not thousands, of species of moss.  There are many types of moss that will overgrow in pots, smother plants, and harbor fungal spores.  So you're best off pulling it out unless you are certain it's sphagnum moss.  You can go online and compare it to photos of known species of sphagnum moss.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!