Carnivorous Plants/Is my nepenthes ready for a cutting?

Question
Nepenthes Ventricosa
Nepenthes Ventricosa  
This is my nepenthes ventricosa. It has a long woody stem with a tight group of leaves and pitchers at the top. Emerging from the growing medium are two shoots that have begun growing wildly. Should I cut the tight cluster of leaves from the top and repot it in another pot so the shoots below get more sunlight? I included a labeled picture to avoid any ambiguity about which parts of the plant I am referencing.

Answer
When you mention cutting, do you mean trimming the plant or cutting stems for propagation purposes?  Technically, you can do your cuttings at almost any time.  It's just a matter of your skills in doing cuttings with tight nodal spaces.  If you're doing cuttings for the first time, do so when the nodal space (the space between each leaf) is about an inch or more.  This will make it easier to practice your skills.  

It also takes practice to get a sense of which part of the vine provides the best success rate.  The woody portion is almost unusable and provides almost no roots.  The green portions provide the best rate of success.  

With that said, if you want to trim your plant just to make it more aesthetically pleasing, you can do this at anytime without regard of cuttings.  Keeping or trimming off the vine won't impact your plant either way.  It's a matter of personal preference on how you want the plant to appear.  You can remove the longer vine with the woody portion to give your plant a more compact appearance.  Make your cut close to the base of the plant.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest