Carnivorous Plants/portland cement

I want to make a "moving water" water feature for my patio. I will use a small pond made of some form of plastic with an over lay channel for water flow. Will the portland cement poison sarracenina? I would eventually like to be able to grow Cobra plants in the running water. My intent is to make a shallow descent water way with side pockets for planting. I plan to first buy the "Holiday Special"  you have listed in sale section. For them I would use a container set a pocket of water.

Hi Dale,

When you first create the water feature you will want to let it run, then change the water several times.  I would recommend letting it run a couple of weeks with some water changes before you add plants.  Portland Cement has Calcium hydroxide (caustic lime) in it, and is very alkaline which carnivorous plants don't like.  However, after the cement cures, and has had time to leach, it should be fine in the way you're planning to do it.

Sarracenia are definitely the plants to test with this.  If the cement remains too alkaline, they will show a gradual decline, but you would be able to remove them before they get too bad.  Sarracenia are fairly resilient.

What I would recommend is to build your water feature now, but don't add the plants until late February or early March.  This will give the winter rains/snow time to leach the cement.  Planting in March will coincide with the plants coming out of dormancy, so you'll be able to access quickly if they are having issues with alkaline conditions.  Until then the plants can just remain in pots.

What part of the country to you live in?

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!