Carnivorous Plants/Rafflesania x Mirabliss R.I.P?

mirablissx rafflesania
mirablissx rafflesania  
Mirabliss x rafflesania
Mirabliss x rafflesani  
QUESTION: Allexperts,

I the Rafflesania looks like it is officially dead.  I was reading on line that sometimes the Nepenthes can come back from the dead.  Is it possible that this plant might come back?   I have attached 2 pictures with this email.  I have been giving the plant 1/4teaspoon  of Superthrive and 1/8 teaspoon of  fertilizer.  

The link to website is here:   

Thank you again.  

ANSWER: It all depends on how the main portion of the plant died.  If it died because of disease that affected the roots, then all parts of the plant are dead.  Cases in which a plant will send up new shoots after the main section has died off usually occurs because of factors other than disease or pathogens, such as fire, frost, or chemicals to the leaves.  Even in these cases, you have to be lucky that the roots and lower stem portions haven't died.

Without knowing any history of your plant, I can't tell you whether or not you will see new shoots months from now.  You can always keep the pot for the next 6 months or so to see what happens.  That's the most I can recommend for you.  Otherwise, a plant like this will usually end up in the compost bin because I have very limited space in my greenhouse.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

QUESTION: Allexperts,

Sorry it took so long to write back.  The history of what happened to the plant is some how I forgot to monitor the plant soil wetness.  Is is possible if the plant could be sending up new plant shoots?  I just made a mistake in watering the plant the soil dried out.   Thanks Again.

It's unlikely the plant will come back after severe dehydration.  The roots likely died off because it lacked water for too long.  Nepenthes can send up new shoots from the lower portions of the plant ONLY IF the root system is healthy enough to do so.  As I mentioned before, you can always keep the pot for the next 6 months or so to see what happens.  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!