Carnivorous Plants/Tracyi

Hey guys, Jason here from AZ. The Tracyi I got from you guys a year ago grew into a beautiful bush this year and is now dormant. My question is about division. There are at least eight resting buds that I can see. Do I pry those apart?
As always thank you,

Hi Jason,

Yes.  Dewthreads respond very well to division of their dormant hibernacula.  During dormancy they have very little in roots, so they grow new ones upon emerging.  Years ago I propagated Dewthreads almost exclusively from hibernacula division.  It works equally well with tracyi, Florida Giant, filiformis, filiformis, and D. x hybrida.

Just like Sarracenia, it best to wait until late winter (which is probably much earlier for you) to divide.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!