Carnivorous Plants/Divinding in the winter

Hi Jacob and Jeff

In the past, I have waited till spring to divide my plants, but I have a lot of plants that need dividing, and it is unlikely that I will be able to get them all done before they start to grow for the season. The question is, is there any reason I can't start dividing now ? The plants are dormant, in a unheated cellar. I am thinking I could bring a few up on a snowy day, divide them and send them back down for the rest of the winter. Is there any reason not to do this ? Is there anything different I should do ?  

90 north of NYC

Hi Nicole,

You can.  The only recommendation I have is to spray the divisions with a sulfur fungicide since it will be a couple of months before they are able to be outside and begin growing.  A major reason for waiting until spring is that the plants are better able to recover from the damage when they begin active growth.  While dormant they are more prone to fungus from the injury in being divided.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!