Carnivorous Plants/Light for a cephalotus

Hey guys from Sarracenia :)

This is my first time buying light. Im looking for indoors light for a Cephalotus (i buy from you:) I read that 1000 and 1500 was great but...I don\'t know a anything about light. Can you please recommend a good light for my carnivorous plant. If you have kit or a terrarium with some light that would be perfect.

Thank you so much

Hi Gabriel

For a single plant, this is my favorite light:  I have one of these that I use for a Dewy Pine (Drosophyllum lusitanicum), and it works great.  It's bright enough to give high-light plants like carnivorous plants adequate light indoors.  It's height adjustable too.  The bulb is a regular 6500K compact fluorescent, so it's fairly easy to replace.  It says it comes with a 23 watt, but I recommend using a 32 watt if you can get one.  32 watt is an odd size, so it's easiest to order them online.  The 23 watt is probably fine for a little Cephalotus.

There are lots and lots of other lights you can use, but you need to do some reading on the subject to understand plant lights more.  It's a bit beyond the scope of the Allexperts format for me to try and do this subject justice.  The light I'm recommending is ready to go out of the box with just some minor assembly.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!