Carnivorous Plants/N. Miranda flower

N. Miranda flower stalks
N. Miranda flower stal  
This N. Miranda grew the long brown flower stalk several months ago. Recently this N. Miranda and another  N. Miranda have produced this smaller, shorter flower stalk. Can you tell me which flower stalk is male and female? I assume both sizes are needed at the same time to produce seeds. Thanks

Hi Robert,

Nepenthes plants are completely one sex or the other.  If a plant produces a male flower, the all the flowers that plant produces will be male.  As far as I know, most all the N. mirandas commonly sold are male since they are clones of each other.  Your older flower stalk does look male since I can see the yellow pollen in the anthers.  Here's a link to a good comparison photo:

To be able to cross-pollinate and get seeds, you'll need to find another plant (pretty much any Nepenthes species) that is in bloom, and female.  This makes Nepenthes very different from pitcher plants such as Sarracenia which have flowers with both male and female parts in the same flower.  With those you just need to have any two plants in bloom at the same time.  Not so with Nepenthes.  

If you do find a female plant, however, Nepenthes cross-pollinate and set seed very easily.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!