Carnivorous Plants/n. ventricosa flower

hi this is jim,my n. ventricosa is finally flowering after 5 years of nepenthes care boot camp Ive put it threw lol.this is the first time i've got any of them to flower,so i dont have any experianse in this aria. id rely like to use gunther's(thats his name} polen. but theres no other nepenthes flowering around at the moment.i'm prety shur i cant use the polen on the same plant, but how do i store it after plants get 14 hours cpf 26 watts. ten bulbs,about 8inches away.watered every 2 days,with a humidifier going at all times,equal parts dry sphagnum,orchid bark,perlite.srry im on anouther computer, so i cant send a picture, but he's got 2 vines growing up dol rods about 1 and a half feet tall,and five new nodes starting at the bottom of the vines,and i just gave all my plants a thanksgiving cricket meal.i live in cleveland ohio, but i on ally put them out side in summer for a few months and they do better in side under the lights've bin an imense help with every thing thank you, jim

Hi Jim,

I'm going to direct you to a thread on this subject.  We've never stored Nepenthes pollen, so I have no experience in this area.

In order to successfully pollinate Nepenthes you need two plants in bloom that are different genders.  Nepenthes are either male or female.  They don't have both floral parts on the same plant.  A plant (like yours it sounds) that produces male flowers will only ever produce male flowers.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!