Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes

hi,paul here,i live in s.island new zealand.i have grown cps for a number of years in my bog ,always wanted a nepenths,so bought a ventricosa x ephppiata,only had it about two weeks so early days.hangs in my art studio,close to window facing east ,gets sun for about 3-4 hours,then later on setting sun for about 2-3 question,should i fill pitchers with rain water,which i collect in i spray it with rain water often.  regards paul smith

Hi Paul,

Since you just got your plant, putting a little water in the pitchers can be beneficial.  As the plant gets established in it's new home it will make it's own fluid in pitchers.

Misting isn't required.  Misting is something that makes us feel good, but is of little benefit to houseplants.  I'm also convinced that it can inhibit pitchering in Nepenthes since it causes a "see-saw" effect in humidity.  Nepenthes do best when conditions are nice and boring without changing conditions.

Nepenthes ventricosa x ephippiata should be a really nice hybrid.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!