Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes turning yellow then black rapidly

The sick Nepenthes
The sick Nepenthes  

The setup
The setup  
I recently got a N. (Spectibilis x Ventricosa) x Aristolochiodes from the
December open house. It is now showing signs of stress and it looks like it's declining fast, accelerating over the past week. The lower leaves are turning yellow and then black, it takes about three days for the entire leaves to go turn yellow then black. All the pitchers that are on it are dried out but still colored. The new growth tip is very soft and extremely flexible.

I have it/them (my other nepenthes sitting under a 24w (100w equivalent) 6500k cfl. The lights are on for 12 hours. I also have a fan that goes on every other 30 minutes for 30 minutes at a low setting. The temperature in the room ranges from 50 - 60, I don't heat the room up.

Might this be a sign of a waterlogged plant? Might it be travel stress? What should I do?

I have 9 other nepenthes next to each other and they are all thriving so I don't think this is 100% environmental.

Thank you very much.

Hi Nanthawat,

Thank-you for sending the photos.  That really helps.

Looking at the plant it's hard to say which direction it will go.  It has been through lots of transitions over the last month.  Die off of lower leaves doesn't concern me that much since the top of the plant looks good.  N. ventricosa and N. aristolochiodes tend to form long, viney stems, so that can develop a long brown stem with the end growing.

What I would do is just watch it for now.  It would be good if you could get the daytime temperature up more around 70-75.  60 degrees is a bit cool.  The night temperatures are fine.  If the progression continues and you get newer growth dying, then contact us about replacement within the 30 day policy.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!