Carnivorous Plants/new plant care

I am expecting a Cape Sundew, Spatulata Sundew and a Montezuma Butterwort in the mail from you all tomorrow.  This is my first time ordering plants through the mail.  Is there anything specific I should do for the plants when they arrivev to minimize the stress or should I just place them where they will live and give them some water.  I want them to get the best care from the beginning.

Hi Pat,

In your box you'll find a sheet covering just the questions you're asking.  The big things are to get them into a water tray, then into a bright location.  Give them a couple weeks to recover since the leaves can look a little poor from the shipping.  The sundews should always have a shallow tray of water to sit in, and the butterwort should just remain damp (they don't like to be waterlogged since they are not a bog plant like the sundews).  Make sure they are in a sunny window.  More specific directions can be found here: and here:  For a very detailed, hands-on care guide consider acquiring one of our volume #2 DVD's,

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!