Carnivorous Plants/Is my plant in its vineing stage?

Mirabilis x gracilis
Mirabilis x gracilis  
Hey guys!
I received my N. Mirabilis x gracilis from eBay in the mail the other day. It seems to have survived the shipping well. Although the very top of the tendril on the growing point broke off. So it's next leaf won't make a pitcher for me, but no permanent damage done. It had a very large root system as well. The plant is supposedly seed grown.
Here it is in its 6inch pot with fresh soil.
If you look at the picture you notice the leaves are further apart towards the top of the plant. None of my other plants have such a large internodal distance. Does this mean it will be entering its vineing stage soon?

Hi Jaden,

Both of the parent plants that make up your hybrid tend to start producing vines at a very young age.  N. gracilis especially is a little scrambler climbing up other vegetation.  Expect this plant to pretty much always produce long vines.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!