Carnivorous Plants/Sarracienia

How do you simulate sarracinea purpuria dormancy in a tropical climate?Do you put it in a refrigerator

Hi Eric,

Since you said you live in California, you don't actually live in a tropical climate.  Southern California is usually referred to as sub-tropical and is USDA zone 9 in most places.  Most parts of California can get frost from time to time.

You don't need to do anything to your plant.  If you have your S. purpurea outside (best place to keep it), it will experience the natural decrease in daylight hours in winter, and this will trigger dormancy.  Temperatures alone don't bring on dormancy, but the combination of temperatures and photoperiod.  Also most Sarracenia can tolerate near tropical conditions as many Hawaiian growers can attest to.  The only one that might have a hard time would be Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea, the Northern Purple Pitcher.  It's used to much longer, colder winters.  Most purpureas sold are purpurea venosa, the Southern Purple Pitcher.  This is very different for other North American carnivorous plants such as sundews and Venus Flytraps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!