Carnivorous Plants/transitioning to outside

I have a VFT and a purple pitcher that have been inside.  I tried to put them out but it was too late and they froze.  You recommended bringing them back in and they seem to be OK.  I intend to move them outside in the spring into a bog garden I plan to make.  How and when would be the best time to start transitioning these plants from inside to out.  I have purchased the vol.1 DVD so I can learn how to care for these plants once they are outside.

Hi Pat,

The time to transition them outside is when you think frost danger is minimal.  It doesn't have to be warm, just not super cold.  Being inside they won't have resistance to freezing until they go through the fall normally.

You can basically just set them outside when the time is right, and just watch the weather for a freak late freeze.  You will probably experience some leaf burn when they first go out, but if it's early in the season, they will grow plenty of new leaves that look very healthy.  Make sure the plants are in full sun.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!