Carnivorous Plants/Venticosa x Truncotta weird things growing on the Stem

Vent X Trun Pict 1
Vent X Trun Pict 1  

Trun X Venti pict 2
Trun X Venti pict 2  

I was watering the plant today and I came across these weird green things growing on the stem of the plant.  Is this something to be concerned about.  After losing another Nepenthes to some weird disease or pest, I wondering if I should do something about this?   I have attached some photos about what I'm am talking about.  As always thank you for your time.  If anything thing else you need let me know.

Grow Information:

These growths were not on any plant that had the disease.  Or any plant that has succumbed to the disease.
No Nepenthes has these growths except this one
Water= Distilled
light- 12hrs

Hi Weylin,

It looks like you have a new shoot developing.  It is just emerging lower down on the stem than many other species usually do.  This is very common in N. ventricosa the species, so I'm not surprised to see it on a ventricosa hybrid.  Not only is this not a problem, it's a good thing.

I did notice too that you have some oxalis (the little clover looking stuff) growing in the pot.  This stuff is a ubiquitous greenhouse weed.  Be sure to take that out.  If it gets a good foothold, you'll never be rid of it.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!