Carnivorous Plants/dormant butterwort

Hi! Today I acciedently kicked over my dormant mexican butterwort's pot, it only had the short and non-carnivorous leaves. (I believe it is a Pinguicula moranensis) When the pot knocked over, the entire plant just fell out onto the floor. It only had a few tiny and short roots which is probabaly why it came out so easily. I just put the plant back into the pot and tried to tuck the few, remaining roots back. Will my plant be okay after this? Is it supposed to have this few roots?

Hi Victor,

When Mexican butterworts go dormant it's usually in response to a dry season, so they have very few roots.  Just put your plant back, or take the opportunity to repot it in fresh media.  If any of the resting bud leaves broke off, lay those on some fresh butterwort media that is being kept wet, and in a bright place.  (Under fluorescent lights works best.)  Almost everyone of those will strike roots and grow into a new plant.  This is definitely a time you can take your being given a bunch of lemons and make some great lemonade!  Pinguicula moranensis is a very tough plant, and this coming out of the pot shouldn't hurt it.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!