Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Aristolochioides tip black

Hi Sarracenia Northwest,

The tip of my Nepenthes Aristolochioides has turned black. I moved to Florida in August 2012 and this plant got in shock and so did my other ones. However, my other ones are making a recover and growing new leaves and even pitchers but this one isn't. I grow all my plants under two cool-white fluorescent tubes, the soil drains easily but holds moisture well, plants are not water-logged, has live sphagnum cymbifolium as a topping of the soil, and they get refrigerated night-time cooling.

I also used USPS and one day shipping shipping. So I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the Nepenthes Aristolochioides, especially that this is the first time that I'm dealing with a nepenthes that has a black tip.

As always, thank you for your help.

Hi Agustin,

Good to hear from you.

Tell me about what you mean by "refrigerated night-time cooling".  If you are actually putting them in the refrigerator, that's too cold.  Is this just in an air-conditioned room?  If your temperatures are in the 70's where you have the plant I would just leave it be.  I would need a picture to get a better idea what you have happening.

Depending on where you live in Florida, you might consider an outdoor habitat for your plants.  The panhandle would be too cold in winter, Central Florida would be fine with some caution on cool nights, and most could go outdoors in South Florida.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!