Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes bicalcarata shock

I recently revived this nepenthes bicalcarata in the mail and I think it is showing signs of shock. If it is will it recover? It is under t CFls one 2700k and one 6500k. The humidity is usually around 70% and it gets distilled water. Will my plant recover?

Hi Zack,

Your light and humidity sound great.  Make sure your day temperatures for this plant are in the 80's or even 90's, and don't let it go below 70 at night.  After that give it time.  It will take a few weeks to know how the plant is going to respond.

This is a risky time of year to be ordering an ultra-lowland Nepenthes like N. bicalcurata.  They are not cold-tolerant at all, and I've lost plants like this even when they were well packed and had heat packs.  It's best to buy these in the summer.  Highland Nepenthes an temperate carnivorous plants usually ship fine if they are well-packed.  This is a great time to order plants like Cephalotus or Drosera regia since they have the opposite problem which is heat sensitivity.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!