Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes help

Im sorry jeff for asking so many questions,im just scared for it but what if most of leaves are damaged  and it does not have many it has about 5 and 3 are really bad and the other two have small brown spots also one of the 2 has a developing pitcher,will it grow
P.s.promise this is my last question

Hi Dylan,

I wish I had a magic bullet for you, but aside from the advice I've already given there's not much you can do except give your plant time, and keep it in consistent temperatures, water, and light.  If leaves are mostly brown, they are already dead, so there's no point in leaving them on the plant.  If a leaf still has some green, leave that intact; it's still capable of photosynthesis.  Nepenthes need things nice and boring--conditions not changing.  This is why moving them around (or any other plant for that matter)is a bad idea.

Let me know how it goes.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!