Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes root cuttings

Hi its me again i would like to know if nepenthes can be propogated though root cuttings because i left some roots on moitsen spagnum and 2 weeks later i see 2 little green stalks on the n.stenophiylla root,please say yes

Hi Dylan,

I'm not sure what those little tiny green stalks are, but Nepenthes don't propagate or spread through their roots.  In nature they are vines, and if a vine makes good contact with the ground it can root, but the roots themselves don't do that.  Often in culture people will see another shoot coming up through the soil and wonder if they can separate it, but what's really going on is a new shoot from the stem under the soil.  This is all very different from other pitcher plants like Sarracenia, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus and Heliamphora.  All of those have rhizomes which are fleshy underground stems.  By their very nature the lend themselves to having pieces break off and start growing new leaves and roots.

No harm in waiting awhile to see what your little green stalks turn out to be.  It could be interesting.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!