Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia hybrid flower stalks

I was watering my fly traps and sarracenia, that are supposed to be sleeping for the winter, and notices 3 flower stalks on one of the sarracenia hybrids.  These cold hardy plants are in a north facing window in a cold room.  We had a warm week getting up into the 50's but it is back into the 20's at night and 30's daytime.  Do I leave it as is, I could move it to a warm south facing room/window, I also have a small indoor rack running 12/12 lighting where I keep my tropical sundews and nepenthes.  Thanks for your time.

Hi Ed,

This often happens when the plants are in a warmer environment.  Coming out of dormancy is triggered by temperatures and photoperiod.  Our days are getting longer, and that is what the plants are responding to.

What I would do is leave them in the colder area for now.  Watch them as the flower stalks form.  When you see the first new pitchers trying to grow, move them to the sunny south window.  When you feel frost danger is minimal in the next couple of months, go ahead and move them outside.  Leaving them in the cold room will keep the growth slow.

Here in the nursery what we see if the first signs of flowers in late March, but it takes until May to see the first flowers actually open.  Our weather tends to be cool and rainy until June.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!