Carnivorous Plants/Sundew leaves

Top view
Top view  

Side view
Side view  
I've recently got his sundew and have know idea what species it is, I also noticed that the leaves moved up (before they were flat on the ground) can you tell me what species it is and what's wrong with the leaves?

Hi Freeman,

These are Drosera burmanii, and a very nice collection of them.  The leaf appearance you see is very normal for them, but they look like they could use a bit more sun.  The most common type of this plant is normally all-green, but usually you see a slight pink cast to them.  This is one of the sundews that have snap-tentacles on the outer ring.  Tickle them with a bug or something edible and they will move in rapidly.  This plant is also an annual, so be sure to collect seed when they bloom.

This plant is usually pretty voracious.  I've seen full sized houseflies subdued by them.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!