Carnivorous Plants/Water & Mexican Butterwort

I've just recently adopted a Mexican Butterwort into my plant family and am worried about the watering process. I've heard many times to use rain or distilled water,but I don't have access to said water all the time. What water could I use in it's place?

Hi Alison,

Mexican butterworts are actually less sensitive to hard water than many other carnivorous plants.  This is largely due to them often growing in limestone or gypsum.  You may want to pass your water through a carbon filter to remove excess chlorine, but other than that, occasional use of your tap water is unlikely to hurt them.  You could also get a ZeroWater filter.  Those are sold at many stores, they work well, the pitcher comes with a TDS meter, which can be very handy.  ZeroWater filters remove everything from the water unlike Britas and Purs which leave all the minerals behind.  It's the minerals that become damaging to cp over time.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!