Carnivorous Plants/butterwort in rock

what might cause the butterwort to shrivel and die in one weekend? had good light & water. went to the ocean over the weekend. did it miss us ? thanks Gary

Hi Gary,

I'm assuming this was a Pinguicula primuliflora in the rock.  These plant can be subject to a sudden death, and it's a metabolic problem they get at times.  What happens is that this plant does need a winter dormancy being a North American plant, so if the conditions are not cool enough they reach a point where they just "give up".

The solution is too keep the plants very cool during the winter, 30's and 40's.  Another technique that seems to work well is to keep the plants submerged in water right up to the leaves.  This is done only during the winter, and once the weather warms, the plant is returned to normal tray watering.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!