Carnivorous Plants/d filiformis tracyi

Question
Hello i have a d filliformis that is coming out of its first dormancy. I had a question can i feed it before it is fully unfurled or will this harm the plant. I also have a fraser island sundew that i recently receive and have bren growing under artificial light with no problem threw the winter i would like to move it to my sunny west facing wimdow for spring and summer  do these plants grow well in windowsills. I just have one last question regarding gemmae production the plants enter a dormancy during the hot dry summers then fall triggers production due to photoperiod and temperature

Answer
Hello Abel,

You do not really need to feed the plant as it will catch its own insects. If you do not see any insects caught on its leaves after a couple of weeks, you can place a mosquito, fly or other small insect on a fully mature leaf. It does not actually harm the plant to place insects on half-opened leaves, but those leaves are simply not quite ready to fully capture insects and may not have enough dew or digestive capacity to kill and deal with the prey item.

Drosera spatulata (Frasier Island) is fine in most sunny windows and florescent lights. They do like a lot of light, so make sure they receive at least 6-8 hours of direct window light a day with plenty of indirect light for several hours beyond that. If you note any burning, you may need to tone down the light and move the plant back from the window a few inches.

Drosera spatulata does not produce gemmae. They flower and produce seeds as well as divide clones off from their root systems.

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell