Carnivorous Plants/Drosera multifida 'Extrema' leaf loss

Drosera multifida \'Extrema\'
Drosera multifida 'Ext  

I've had this drosera multifida 'Extrema' for around a year now. It has been growing fine up until recently. About a month ago its leaves started turning black and any new growth also turned black. Now it looks almost like it's dormant. There also seems to be some mold on the surface of the soil. I grow it under four T-5 fluorescent lights for 12 hours a day. I keep it in a tray with distilled water. I have not repotted it since I bought it, but it looks like it's in peat moss and sand. I live in southwest washington (Vancouver) and I haven't put it outside.

Is this a fungus problem or does this plant just go dormant in the winter?

Hi Reggie,

Just from the appearance of the soil, it probably is time to transplant it.  This does look like the plant is dormant, and many species of D. binata have a dormancy.  I've never seen our Multifida extremas go dormant, but they come from warmer areas of Australia, so their dormancy may be a summer dormancy.

I would just repot it and give it some time.  You might try decreasing the temperature some to see if the plant starts active growth again.  Most D. binata varieties have a fairly short dormancy; usually about two months.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!