Carnivorous Plants/Drosera Spatulata

Spatulata clump
Spatulata clump  
I have. Grown this drosera Spatulata for about a year, I grew it indoors in front of a sunny window sill. It grows in pure fibered sphagnum moss. From the Spatulatas I've seen most of them are ground hugging single rosettes that send out smaller plants around the mother plant. But for some reason mine turned into a bush shape that probably has about 20 plants on it, I can't tell which one is the mother plant. I don't know if it is actually a hybrid or if that is just the way it grows.

Hi Jack,

Your plant is a tissue cultured clone, a commonly mass produced plant of this species.  They are sold wholesale in cell plug trays from the TC starts.  Because of the way they were propagated they tend to want to continue clumping for a time.

If you're careful you can separate these into single plants, or smaller clumps and get more plants.

Overall your plants look pretty good, but the could use more light.  This species will turn bright red and very dewy in good sun.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!