Carnivorous Plants/Flowering Bromelaid

I just noticed that my carnivorous Bromelaid had a flower stem starting to pop out, and I was wondering if it can fertilize itself, and if there are any special procedures I need to do.

ANSWER: Hi John,

I believe they do need to be cross-pollinated.  Ours have never produced seed, and all of the Brochinnia reducta from us are the same clone.  You might try asking about this on one of the bulletin board such as ICPS proboards or others.  General information on Bromeliad culture could be applicable too since they behave much like other Bromeliads.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: I did some research and it looks like they die after having flowers, but that they also reproduce using pups.

Yes, this is true.  After they flower, the mother plant will produce pups.  As the pups mature, the mother plant dies off.  When the pups are mature enough, you can divide the clump.  This is the easiest method to propagate Brocchinia, and we demonstrate this process in our Volume 3 DVD.  

In regards to your original question about pollinating the flowers to get seeds, we don't have any experience with that.  However, I have seen Brocchinia seeds for sale on rare occasions.  We just don't know what it takes to get seeds, if that is what you intended.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!