Carnivorous Plants/i have a nepenthe tobaica that needs repotted

N tobaica shoot
N tobaica shoot  
but has recently formed a new shoot at the base of the you can see in the pic soil really needs changed but will replanting this plant stress it out to much ?
i live in western pa. it is in a western window and it is winter time here. i use LFS and perlite for soil thanks

Hello Brandon,

Nepenthes, for the most part, particularly easier to grow species like N. tobaica, can be repotted virtually any time of year with little worry. The main thing is to be gentle with the roots as they are somewhat brittle, but even a few snapped roots does not cause much of a problem for Nepenthes that I have seen. Only some of the most difficult to grow Nepenthes, like N. rajah are finicky about repotting as well as environment.

The vine sprout on the base of your plant should be handled with care as well. They can sometimes just pop off with a slight nudge, so just handle it with kids gloves when repotting.  

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell

I am capable of answering questions about the most common carnivorous plants found in cultivation. I have no personal experience with Byblis, Drosophyllum, Aldrovanda, and Heliamphora. I have not cultivated gemmae forming pygmy sundews nor tuberous sundews. For information regarding those aforementioned species, I would suggest contacting other experts. I can answer questions regarding most species of Nepenthes, tropical and temperate Drosera, Mexican Pinguicula, Sarracenias, and Dionaea. I have some limited experience with growing Utricularia, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia.

I have grown carnivorous plants off and on for about 27 years. I have made the same mistakes and suffered the same mishaps that many growers make as they attempt to separate the myths from the realities of growing these plants. Currently, I am successfully growing a variety of tropical sundews, a Nepenthes, several Venus Flytraps of varying ages, and Sarracenias. I have been successful in stratifying Sarracenia seeds and providing artificial dormancy requirements for my temperate plants when needed.

I hold a Master's degree in Educational Psychology. Over my lifetime, I have constantly read books involving the growing conditions of carnivorous plants. I hope to incorporate the educational aspects involved in psychology with teaching other people how to cultivate carnivorous plants.