Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes

Hello Experts,

I really need some help confirming the types of nepenthes I have.

I have attached a picture with this question of my nepenthes plants.

I have my guess but I still want to be sure.

The first one on the left side has more of a long pitcher. Right now it is a light green color and inside the pitcher there are these pink speckles. I think it may be a an Nepenthes Sanguinea ?

The pitcher on the right side is seems a bit more rounded at the bottom. On the outside it has red spots. I bought this one from cooks carnivores and it was a nepenthes sibuyanensis. Cna you confirm this for me. I waited till a big pitcher grew so it would be easier for you guys.

Another question regaurding the nepenthes sibuyanensis if it is one. Is it true that nepenthes sibuyanensis like to bury there pitchers in moss ? If so should put more moss around my plant.

Hopefully you can help me

Hi Matt,

I would say the one on the left is Nepenthes sanguinea "orange" just because I've grown and had so many of these.  The other plant probably is N. sibuyanensis, only because I know that Cook's and many of us get starts from the same wholesalers.  I wouldn't have any reason to doubt the ID unless you have some other circumstances that would contradict that.  When plants are small like this it is very hard to determine identity until they start producing more mature pitchers.  

Fortunately, N. sibuyanensis will start to show this fairly soon.  As the plant gets older it will try to grow pitchers down, and yes, they do grow into the soil sometimes.  We've had problems with them growing their pitchers through trays, and shelves, only to have to cut them off to remove the plants.  They don't need to grow pitchers into the soil, but just be aware as the tendrils begin to elongate.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!