Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Miranda

Question
I happened to be at a local nursery and saw this plant.   I have always liked carnivorous plants, so this drew my attention.   I decided to buy it but it had no information on care or growth size.   Upon reading one of your answers it appears that this plant can get pretty big.   I usually bring in my house plants over the winter and put them in the spare bedroom with grow lights and hope that they make it.   Most do.   Then I take them back out in the summer.   I live in Cols., Ohio.   Can I trim back the size of the plant when cold fall comes so that it doesn't overwhelm the bedroom during the winter?   If so, how?   Just take off the top part that is bigger than I want?   Will a new dominate leader take over for the next summer's growth so that we will have pitchers again?   Or will that ruin it for having pitchers?

Answer
Hello Bruce,

Yes, you can trim back Nepenthes and new vines will grow out to take the place of ones clipped back. The only slight difference will be that the new vines will be small and so will develop small pitchers for a while until they mature.

I just had this situation with my N. sanguinea. It was overgrowing my bedroom and had 4-6 foot vines across several shelves. I went crazy clipping it back and just left about a foot of vine with a few leaves up top. It quickly grew in two new vines from the base as well as a new vine from the top near the point I clipped the longer vines off. The main thing to remember is that Nepenthes do need some green leaves left behind so they can acquire light and recover.

The other point to consider is that you will have several long vines to attempt making cuttings from, like with Ivy. I found that an opaque vase of water does a good job with my Nepenthes. I have not tried with N. miranda, but many vining Nepenthes species tend to have some capacity to grow roots from cuttings and develop as completely new plants. I have four nicely growing N. sanguinea from the one I initially had, and I had to throw out a bunch of cuttings I simply had no room for this last time. It will take the cuttings about one to three months (according to species) to develop roots before transplanting them to soil. You will want the cuttings to be 8-12 inches long with at least 3-4 good leaves and a long enough base to place in water.  

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell