Carnivorous Plants/My Nepenthes x Marpessa

Nepenthes x Marpessa
Nepenthes x Marpessa  

Nepenthes x Marpessa pitcher
Nepenthes x Marpessa p  
Hello. I have a Nepenthes x Marpessa hybrid on a windowsill. For some reason, it pitchers so slowly, by the time the new pitcher is open, the other one is dead so I usually end up with only one pitcher and on a rare occasion, two pitchers can I help it so there are pitchers at once?

Hi Barclay,

Since N. x Marpessa is the same hybrid as N. x miranda, to get it big with multiple pitchers will require lots of sun and warm conditions.  They also need a fair amount of food, but the sun will be the biggest factor.  When these are getting the sun they like, the leaves will be reddish in color.

As a houseplant it's not unusual for them to just have one pitcher at a time.  An older plant is also much more likely to have multiple pitchers.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!