Carnivorous Plants/Nice and Warm and no new growth

Close up
Close up  

Dear Sir or Ma'am,
I am concern that my D. filiformis x intermedia - Hybrida (purchased on 10 May 2012) didn't make it thru Southern California winter.  All the other carnivorous plants I have are showing new growth right now.  Is it going to make it? What can I do to help?  I kept the container drained during the rainy season and now plugged the drain and placed in fresh distill water for the starting hot summer.

it is getting full light through out the morning and noon time.

Hi Ken,

From the picture the plant looks like it's still alive.  They just have a bit of a longer dormancy than some of the other plants you have in the bog garden.  This species can be subject to rotting and Botrytis mold, but yours doesn't seem to have any sign of that.

I would just give it a bit more time.  We are getting to the spring equinox this week and the longer days may push it out of it's dormancy.  If it still doesn't start to grow in the next 3 weeks, examine the hibernacula more carefully.  If it is soft and black, it's probably dead.

You might try growing more southerly species in your garden due to being in a warmer climate.  D. tracyi and D. filiformis "Florida Giant" are good candidates.  The all red form of D. filiformis can do well in Zone 9 climates too.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!