Carnivorous Plants/Pot of sundews suddenly looking bad.

Balled up growth on staghorn
Balled up growth on st  
Hi Jeff and Jacob.
This is a pot I put together about a year ago.  It has a bunch of spathulata a few capes 1 scorpiodies and 1 staghorn.  The staghorn recently started looking bad.  The new growth is all bunched up in a ball and never opened.  I had pulled out and clipped off dead growth recently but can't think of anything else that changed in its environment, which is indoors under a 100watt T5 hood in the winter months with 12/12 lighting.  I am now bringing this pot outside during the days since it has been close to 50.

Hi Ed,

I'm not totally sure what is going on here, but here's some things to try and inspect for.  First, don't be moving the plant indoors and out.  Your T-5 lighting is great, and it's too early to put them outside for the season, so this will only make your plants worse.  Moving plants around is a big no-no since they are constantly trying to re-adapt the the changing light and humidity.

Next, since it's been a year, I would repot the plants.  When you take them out inspect them with a hand lens for any insects.  Since the Giant Staghorn has large roots, you may have a cutworm eating them.  I've had this happen with Cape Sundews in the past.  Cutworms are a big insect larvae, so these you can just remove by hand.  If you see any other bugs you may need to treat.   The fresh soil from repotting should also help invigorate the plants.

Hope this helps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!