Carnivorous Plants/S.Purpurea sunburn?

I have a small set of questions I hope you don't mind if I lob then all together.
My S.purpurea seems to have clean little holes forming in some of the leaves, the water drains out of these holes and I was wondering if it is normal, is it the sun magnifying through the water? are insects eating their way out?
Also about S.purpurea, my plant has grown leaves in almost every conveibable direction, once a tight rosette of leaves has been formed, where do the new leaves grow to? do they sit on top of the old ones?
And why do my dionaea traps turn black and rot off whenever they catch real prey?

Hi Danny,

Since I don't have a photo I can only take a guess at the holes on your purpurea leaves.  Neat little holes don't tend to be sunburn.  They are usually from an insect, and it cold be something chewing it's way out.  You would have to observe and see if you have any kind of worm or little grub that is in the pitchers, or on the outside making holes.

After S. purpurea has grown some they frequently form tight masses.  You can trim out any dead leaves during the winter to open up the crown.  Once the plant gets multiple growing points you can also divide the plant.  This is best done in early spring.  Since you plant sounds like a variety that gets tight masses (not all do) division every few years is a good idea to prevent Botrytis mold from infecting the crown.

How soon a flytrap leaf trap dies depends on various factors such as the size of the trap, your growing conditions, particularly sun, age of the trap and temperatures.  I find that most of the time when traps die quickly after catching a larger bug it's because the plant isn't getting enough sun.  It takes lots of energy for the plant to manufacture the enzymes for the digestion process (bugs do not provide energy), so if sunlight isn't adequate, the bugs start to decay before the plant can finish digesting them.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!