Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia catching rain

I understand S.purpurea and the like are designed to catch raiwater, is this the same for S.flava? Because I have a S.flava red variety and it has a tendency to catch rainwater and flood, it doesn't lose it's prey but the weight tends to make the elaves all floppy even after I tip the water out. How am I supposed to go about this?
just an extra... We've been in drought and I've been watering my CPs with tap water by flushing through but they drain very slowly, this should be fine still? The rain has come and it's autumn now.

Hi Danny,

No.  Sarracenia flava and other trumpet pitchers with lids have the lid to keep excess rain out.  During heavy rain they will sometimes fill, but the plants tend to take the water out in time.  It's also common for S. flava pitchers to get floppy in the late season since you should be approaching Autumn in the Southern Hemisphere.  You can easily just stake them up to keep them more upright.

Whether or not your tap water is harmful depends on how hard that tap water is.  Usually if the hardness or total dissolved solids are 50 ppm (mg/l) or less the water is fine.  If the TDS is higher Sarracenia will tolerate it for awhile, but will start having problems with time.  If your rain has returned, it will wash out the excess minerals.  

I faced the same situation for many years here in Oregon in the U.S. since we have a maritime climate.  We tend to be dry all summer, then in September or October the rains return, and it rains for 8 months.  I would water with well water that was fairly hard, and I would see many pitchers brown prematurely.  The situation would reverse when the rains returned.  Now we have a high-output R.O. system.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!