Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia Flava

New growth
New growth  
Sorry about not being clear before, but the plants conditions are, during the spring and summer, I keep the plant outside on a porch with little shade, it gets water from rain and I water it with distiller water, for dormancy, I put it in the garage where it still gets a little light, and doesn't get colder than 32 degrees. An animal can get to it, (my dog), but it has never put up new pitchers with red tops before, I looked at it again and I found another red pitcher emerging.

Sarracenia Northwest Nursery In Summer
Sarracenia Northwest N  
Hi Jack,

Essentially your plant is coming out of dormancy.  It's not uncommon for pitchers to be reddish when they first emerge.  The important thing right now is to make sure your plant is getting full sun.  It's guessing it's a bit cold right now to have your plant totally outdoors, but by the end of the month you may be able to.  Try to keep it in the sunniest window possible.  Once you put it outside make sure it's in a full sun location.  Sarracenia pitcher plants need the same amount of sun you would give a vegetable garden.  The location should have no less than 6 ours of uninterrupted sun during the later spring and summer.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!