Carnivorous Plants/sundew dying

Hi, I got a d.alicae in  the mail about a week ago.and has been growing fine but now I notice  two out of the 4 developing leaves are brownig and the tenticales are dew less. The soil is  long fibered spagmum moss and is growing under a 40 watt flurecent bulb for 10 hours.what could be the problem

Sorry for disturbingb you

Hi Dylan,

Since you just got the plant, and it was shipped to you, it's probably just experiencing a little shock from all the transition.  Just give it some time.  Keep it pretty wet, and if you're using a compact fluorescent, monitor how hot it's getting and adjust the distance as needed.  Drosera aliciae likes to be on the cool side.  With a CFL about 6 inches away is a good place to start.

To be of more help I would need you to send me a photo.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!