Carnivorous Plants/Truncata

Torn Truncata leaf
Torn Truncata leaf  
Hey guys, Jason from Arizona here. Take a look at this picture and see what you think. This is my Truncata. The plant is growing very well with large colorful pitchers. However, a few of the new leave always get what you see. The bigger the leaves get it does this. Low humidity? There are no pests on it. Anyway thanks. Jason

Hi Jason,

What this looks like is that some kind of damage is occurring to the leaf when the leave is very young and developing.  It could be some kind of physical damage, or it could be a bug that takes a bite out, then moves on.  It does have that irregular look of a chewing insect.  The insect probably isn't there now, and Nepenthes are probably distasteful to caterpillars/snails/slugs which might do something like this.  I would just be on the lookout for a critter crawling around at night. (I've had slugs get on my orchids in the house that I had do idea where there until a hole like you have pops up.)

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!