Carnivorous Plants/Which type of pot?

The pots I\'m going to use.
The pots I'm going to  
Before the growing season starts i was going to repot my sarracenia and Venus flytraps into bigger pots. I know there are certain kinds of pots that are bad for carnivorous plants, and I wanted to make sure these are fine. They look like they are painted and are made of this stone-like clay material. I hope you can tell if they are all right. Thank you!

Hi Jack,

Those are glazed ceramic pots, and they will be fine.  I would wash them very well, and rinsing with a mild bleach solution would be a good idea to kill any fungal spores left over from previous plantings.

I would make a bit of a pitch for you to consider plastic pots.  The main reason is that once you fill those with heavy, wet peat they will be quite heavy to move considering that the pots themselves are fairly heavy.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!