Carnivorous Plants/cold hardy drosera?

Question
hello,
 I live in northern California, zone 9a (20 to 25). i have a bog garden that needs a few more cps. i was  just wondering which drosera species would do best? The soil media is 50/50 peat and perlite, i use distilled water or water filtered through a zero-water dispenser. The bog gets approximately 7 to 9 hours of full sun.

Answer
Hello Nathaniel,

You might want to try out Drosera filiformis, particularly the "All Red" variety as it is a temperate species that does not need dormancy, but can handle cold weather and go dormant if needed.

You might also look into Drosera capensis. D. capensis is technically a sub-tropical that can handle light frosts and regrow from roots after dying back in cold weather.

The main consideration would be with D. capensis as it does prefer cooler weather, generally below 80, however; is a very resilient plant that can and will tolerate higher temperatures into the 90s well enough. In warm windy conditions it will suffer from brown tip on its leaves, so protect it from wind and it should be fine.

You can also try another sub-tropical, Drosera binata, that can also go dormant and handle some cold weather.

Since you are in zone 9a, you will want to consider warmth in summer, the potential of not having a consistently cold winter, and having plants that can handle the changes without difficulty. The ones above do not need dormancy, but can handle cold and go dormant if needed without trouble.

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell