Carnivorous Plants/A follow up

Question
Hi again, a few days back I posted a question in regards to my Nepenthes media (pure live sphagnum) becoming too wet from excess rain when my plants are outside in summer. Jeff recommended that I add in some perlite and/or orchid bark. I didn't think to post a follow up at the time, so would the moss, perlite and bark be best in a 1:1:1 ratio, or more of one to the other?

Additionally, I only repotted my Nepenthes about 10 months ago so this new repotting shouldn't be too disruptive should it?

Thanks again, Chris

Answer
That ratio is fine.  However, you will need to make sure that when measuring the moss that you wet it first to get it compacted a bit.  This will give you a better gauge of how much perlite and bark to use to get the proper drainage.  There's no magic formula or ratio, but your ratio is a good starting point and will do the job.  

While it's a good idea to keep the roots as undisturbed as much as possible, if your current soil isn't healthy, you're better off changing the soil than risk losing the plant from unhealthy soil.   So the risk of keeping it in pure moss might outweigh the risk of disturbing the roots again.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest