Carnivorous Plants/grasses in bog garden

We've bought plants from you for years and have had great success.  Bog garden over time has too many grass plugs in the mix.  Appears no other option except removing all the pitcher plants and hand pulling all grasses then replanting the pitcher plants.  Upon replanting, would you suggest splitting the plants and removing the previous years growth?  We've been placing semi-chopped pine needles as mulch to keep as acidic as possible.  

Location: Maryland
Bog garden size/shape: ~12x8 ft/kidney

Yes, grass is a perennial problem, even for us.  Every spring we have to repot plants that have excessive grass in the pots.  It's a good idea to do this because some grass species will inhibit root growth of other plants.  I highly recommend replanting your bog garden to remove the grass.  This will restore the aesthetics and health of the garden.  

Yes, follow the recommended guidelines outlined in our monthly video podcast.  Remove all older growth, except for psittacina and purpurea.  For these species, just remove the leaves that are more than 50% brown.  With large clumps of plants, there is risk of the middle section rotting out, so you should also divide large clumps as well.

After restoring your bog garden, schedule about 15 minutes every week to weed your garden.  This is very important to prevent large clumps of grass.  Think of it like weeding a vegetable garden or a flower garden.  It's just something you need to do to extend the life of your garden.  Otherwise you will need to redo the garden every couple years rather than when plants outgrow the area.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!