Carnivorous Plants/green moss

I have something that looks like a green moss growing on top of the soil in both my Venus Flytrap and Sarracenias pots. It's spreading on some pots where almost all the soil is covered with this moss. Can you tell me what this is and is this harmful to my plants ? Should I just pull it off the soil or should I be repotting the plants with fresh soil mix?

Thank You

Hello Dave,

It is either live sphagnum moss growing from the fragments of moss your plants are potted in, or it is algae growing on the surface of the potting mix. It is not harmful to your plants. It will grow back even if you repot as the soil is well lit and moist on the surface, both factors that aid in the growth of algae and moss.  

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell

I am capable of answering questions about the most common carnivorous plants found in cultivation. I have no personal experience with Byblis, Drosophyllum, Aldrovanda, and Heliamphora. I have not cultivated gemmae forming pygmy sundews nor tuberous sundews. For information regarding those aforementioned species, I would suggest contacting other experts. I can answer questions regarding most species of Nepenthes, tropical and temperate Drosera, Mexican Pinguicula, Sarracenias, and Dionaea. I have some limited experience with growing Utricularia, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia.

I have grown carnivorous plants off and on for about 27 years. I have made the same mistakes and suffered the same mishaps that many growers make as they attempt to separate the myths from the realities of growing these plants. Currently, I am successfully growing a variety of tropical sundews, a Nepenthes, several Venus Flytraps of varying ages, and Sarracenias. I have been successful in stratifying Sarracenia seeds and providing artificial dormancy requirements for my temperate plants when needed.

I hold a Master's degree in Educational Psychology. Over my lifetime, I have constantly read books involving the growing conditions of carnivorous plants. I hope to incorporate the educational aspects involved in psychology with teaching other people how to cultivate carnivorous plants.