Carnivorous Plants/hardy drosera?

I live in northern California, zone 9a (20 to 25 degrees). Its inland Mendocino county about an hour from the coast and 3 hours north of San Francisco. i have a bog garden that needs a few more cps. i was  just wondering which drosera species would do best? The soil media is 50/50 peat and perlite, i use distilled water or water filtered through a zero-water dispenser. The bog gets approximately 7 to 9 hours of full sun. Summer temps normally get in to the 100s.

Given your conditions, the following sundews will grow best for you.  They enjoy the full sun and summer heat.  
Drosera intermedia
Drosera filiformis
Drosera tracyi
Drosera capillaris

Some sundews are not very tolerant of the summer heat.  Instead, they grow higher in the mountains where it's cooler during the day, so you should avoid these sundews.
Drosera rotundifolia
Drosear anglica

Good growing!
Jacob Farin  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!