Carnivorous Plants/Heliamphora pulchella

i was interested in getting a Heliamphora pulchella, but i dont use terrariums.  I have had luck growing my cephalotus for over a year in the house and i had seen your pod cast and care sheet about Heli's in the house and was wondering if you though this Heli would be a good house plant, assuming i give it the light, temp, and humidity it likes.  Thanks

Some growers have had good luck growing their Heliamphora without a terrarium.  Others, not so good.  I happen to be one of those that didn't have good luck when I tried growing a Heliamphora in a south window.  The specific microclimate in my home wasn't good enough.  My customer in the podcast, however, is lucky to have the right microclimate.

In general, larger adult plants will have an easier time acclimating to much lower humidity than small young plants with juvenile leaves.  Depending on how the plant is shipped, you may not have a choice in using a terrarium.  If it's shipped bareroot, you would be wise to use a terrarium to help it acclimate.  You can then transition it to lower humidity after you see at least a couple new leaves.  This will let you know that the roots had recovered from the shipping trauma.  

If you it's shipped potted, you could potentially try growing it without a terrarium.  But you should be prepared to place it in one if you see the slightest decline in growth.

For more information about Heliamophora, watch Volume 3 of the Grow Carnivorous Plants DVD series.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!