Carnivorous Plants/How Long Can Sarracenia be Submerged in Water?

Question
I know that it's recommended that Sarracenia should only have water no higher than the mid-point of the pot, but I'm going to be going on vacation and I want to make sure they don't dry out. How long would Sarracenia last with higher water levels before drowning? The rhizome wouldn't be completely submerged but it would be about half an inch below the soil surface. How long would a Sarracenia be able to survive this initial water level? Thanks!

Answer
During their dormant phase, it's not uncommon for Sarracenia to be submerged underwater in the wild.  In your case, the plant won't be entirely submerged.  From what you've described, your set up will be totally fine.  As long as the crown isn't submerged during the active growing phase, the plants will do just fine.

If you're going to be on vacation for more than a week, you should find someone to watch your plants for you.  During the summer heat, water will evaporate quickly.  Even with our pools, 4 inches of water will evaporate within a week.  You can minimize this by placing your plants in a shaded area.  This will sacrifice optimal growth, but this is better than dead plants if no one is around to give them water.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest