Carnivorous Plants/N. Maxima

Question
Hey guys:) I just got my N. maxima "wavy leaf" this afternoon along with a burkei x singlana and a petiolata. I put all 3 of them with my other nepenthes i have ordered from you in the past and the N. maxima started wilting. I have never had this happen before. I put it inside a ziploc bag with a few holes in it. My humidity with my other nepenthes is about 40-50 percent at the lowest. The position also gets afternoon sun,(enough to give my N. sanguineas leaves a red tinge). Do you think this wilting was from humidity change or lighting? Also what causes the leaves of this variety to become wavy? Lighting, maturity, or something else? Thanks for the help.
-Jaden.

Answer
The wilting can be caused by a sudden change in humidity.  While we attempt to acclimate the plants to lower humidity, at this time of the year, our relative humidity in the greenhouse runs at 70-80% because of the cooler temperatures.  I'm not sure what the temperature is in your home, but the higher the temperature, the more moisture is needed to keep the relative humidity constant.  So it's likely the plant reacted to the sudden increase in temperature and drop in relative humidity.  The other varieties of Nepenthes are likely more resilient to those changes.

Yes, keeping the plant in a plastic bag will assist.  Acclimate it to lower humidity over the next 2 weeks.  By then you should be able to remove the plant from the bag.  The wavy leaves are affected by light and age.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest