Carnivorous Plants/N. Maxima

Hey guys:) I just got my N. maxima "wavy leaf" this afternoon along with a burkei x singlana and a petiolata. I put all 3 of them with my other nepenthes i have ordered from you in the past and the N. maxima started wilting. I have never had this happen before. I put it inside a ziploc bag with a few holes in it. My humidity with my other nepenthes is about 40-50 percent at the lowest. The position also gets afternoon sun,(enough to give my N. sanguineas leaves a red tinge). Do you think this wilting was from humidity change or lighting? Also what causes the leaves of this variety to become wavy? Lighting, maturity, or something else? Thanks for the help.

The wilting can be caused by a sudden change in humidity.  While we attempt to acclimate the plants to lower humidity, at this time of the year, our relative humidity in the greenhouse runs at 70-80% because of the cooler temperatures.  I'm not sure what the temperature is in your home, but the higher the temperature, the more moisture is needed to keep the relative humidity constant.  So it's likely the plant reacted to the sudden increase in temperature and drop in relative humidity.  The other varieties of Nepenthes are likely more resilient to those changes.

Yes, keeping the plant in a plastic bag will assist.  Acclimate it to lower humidity over the next 2 weeks.  By then you should be able to remove the plant from the bag.  The wavy leaves are affected by light and age.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!